Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University MBA
The input of our experienced lecturers, high profile national and international guest speakers and your fellow students create a learning environment at NMMU Business School that is dynamic, innovative and engaging.
Our MBA is for self-motivated professionals and requires energy, creativity, honest self-reflection, self-awareness and self-discipline.
NMMU Business School MBA – developed for the business leader of tomorrow.
Improve your career prospects and prepare yourself to be a business leader with a Master’s in Business Administration from Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Business School.
Why NMMU Business School?
As a student on NMMU’s MBA programme you will earn your MBA while gaining valuable, hands-on business experience. Working through case studies and group projects with real organisations, you will be actively involved in your educational experience. You will also learn from business professors, fellow classmates and guest speakers, who come from a variety of different backgrounds, industries and cultures.
Our focus on leadership development is distinctive and considered amongst the best offered in business schools in Africa. We individualise leadership development to fit your needs and to help you understand and leverage your individual strengths, challenges, drivers and capabilities.
Our MBA programme is nationally and internationally accredited. For all our accreditations and rankings, please click on this link.
At NMMU Business School, prospective MBA candidates are assessed against rigorous selection criteria.
Prospective students are required to meet the following criteria:
- A four-year Bachelor’s degree at NQF Level 8; a relevant Postgraduate Diploma (in for instance Business Administration (PDBA)) at NQF Level 8; or an applicable Honours degree at NQF Level 8.
- A minimum of three years management or five years business working experience.
- Applicants must reside within a 60 km radius of Port Elizabeth.
- Be fluent in English. Applicants not fluent in English will be required to produce an English Proficiency certificate to verify English language skills.
An applicant who meets the above criteria will progress onto the second phase of the application process: the writing of the Psychometric Test or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
- All applicants are required to complete the psychometric test as part of their application process.
- Students need to score a 5 or higher on the psychometric (SHL) test.
- Students writing the GMAT test need to obtain a score of 520 or higher.
Once the test has been completed the application will be reviewed and those applicants who meet the application criteria for phase 1 and phase 2 will be asked to partake in an interview (PHASE 3).
Those who do not meet the criteria for phase 1 or phase 2 will not be allowed to further partake in the application process, and their application will be deemed ‘not successful’.
MBA Part-Time explained
The MBA part-time programme is offered as a part-time course over two years to students residing within a 60km radius of Port Elizabeth.
Trimester Module Structure
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2|
|TRIMESTER 1 (FEB – MAY)||TRIMESTER 1|
|Data Analysis & Decision Making
Strategic Marketing Management
Leadership 1 *Accounting for Business *
Research Project Proposal
|TRIMESTER 2 (MAY – AUG)||TRIMESTER 2|
People Management (replaces Organisational Behaviour)
|International FieldtripBusiness Research Project
|TRIMESTER 3 (AUG – NOV)||TRIMESTER 3|
|Business Research Project
Exit: MBA Degree
* Leadership is a year module.
* Accounting for Business is a foundation programme for Financial Management.If an applicant completed Accounting in their first year at university, they will not be required to enrol for this module.
* Programme subject to change.
ELECTIVES (can select any 2):
- Competitive Intelligence (Including big data analytics)
- Sustainable Development
- Lean Enterprise Management
- Management of Technology (Including Artificial Intelligence)
- Project Management
ADDITIONAL ELECTIVE (can select only 1 – not compulsory)
International Fieldtrip: International Business or Leadership (Students are chosen based on academic merit)
PLEASE NOTE: Electives run over 4 days in Port Elizabeth, from 08:00 – 17:00. Compulsory for all MBA students (Part-Time and Block Release). Leadership 1 & 2 will take place on Saturdays and part-time students will be required to attend a Leadership 2 block release presentation as well.
Two to three evening classes per week from 17:30 to 20:30.
The year (12 months) is divided into three (3) trimesters (12 weeks per trimester).
All students accepted onto the MBA programme are assigned to a syndicate group. Group members are selected and assigned according to their professional expertise and experience so as to best replicate a management team in the working environment. MBA students will work together in their groups over the 24 month period. You will be required to meet with your group members on a regular basis (at least once a week) to work on assignments and projects.
Tests and Exams
All tests and exams are written in Port Elizabeth. Tests are written on weekends (Saturdays) and exams in the week.
MBA HOW TO APPLY
Once you have considered the MBA Admissions Criteria and feel qualified to apply for the MBA programme, you can begin the application process:
- We can only accept certified copies of electronic documents.
- If you are alumni of NMMU, we must receive permission from you to request your documentation (academic records, etc.) from our main admissions department. Please ensure you give us your correct NMMU/UPE/Vista/PE Technikon student number.
VERIFY RECEIPT OF APPLICATION SUBMISSION WITH NMMU BUSINESS SCHOOL: it is critical that you contact the NMMU Business School once you’ve submitted an application.
Your submission can be verified by emailing: [email protected] or calling us on 041 – 504 3777 / 3748 if we do not acknowledge receipt of your application.
- Complete the online NMMU Business School Application Form by clicking on thislink.
- Complete the online NMMU Postgraduate Application Form by clicking on this link.
Once you’ve completed the online NMMU Postgraduate Application Form, you will receive an SMS or email stating that you’ve applied. You will also receive a student number as well as a pin that will allow you to upload all your documentation and track your application.
The certified documentation that we require:
- Certified copy of your Identification Document (ID).
- Certified copy of your Qualification (please see Recognition of Prior Learning if you do not have a qualification).
- Certified copy of your Academic Records/Transcripts.
- Certified copy of your School Leaving Certificate.
- Marriage Certificate (female applicants only – if applicable).
- Essay (500 words) about life experiences, goals, attitudes, values and why you would like to be considered for this programme.
PLEASE NOTE: An application will be considered ‘incomplete’ if any of these above documents are outstanding.
Once you have submitted all the required documents, your application will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the minimum application criteria. You will receive a notification of the first review evaluation.
Learning Methods & Techniques
Formal Lectures. Analyses of case studies. International Guest Speakers and Lecturers. International study visits. Facilitated Group Discussion. Presentation of Group Assignments. Conducting applied research on real business problems.
International Learning Experience
An international learning experience is offered through our network of Business School Affiliates and the NMMU Office for International Education as well as our cohort of international students.
Included in our programme are optional overseas fieldtrips as part of formal learning programmes, study abroad opportunities at partner universities and an international pool of guest lecturers.
Our faculty and lecturers are the driving force behind our cutting-edge programmes and provide the best learning experience.
Media, industry, working individuals and professionals, government and leaders turn to our faculty for the latest insights, knowledge and expertise.
We are driven by a set of values geared to ensure that employees and students are holistically empowered as leaders, innovators, agents of change and independent thinkers that will contribute to ecological and economic sustainability and the upliftment of community and society.
Below you can find some answers to frequently asked questions:
What are the fees?
Please see the MBA fees link for further details regarding our fees.
What is the closing date for applications?
The closing date for all applications:
- First Application Closing Date: 31 August 2017.
- Late Application Closing Date: 27 November 2017.
How long will the application process take before I will have a final answer?
It will take between 15 to 30 days from the moment that you hand in your completed application to you receiving a written letter from us informing you about the result.
What is the first step in the application process?
The first step is to complete and submit the online application forms and submit all your relevant documentation. Please see the ‘How to Apply’ link.
When does the programme start?
The programme starts in the first week of February of each year and an academic year consists of three 12 week trimesters. The first trimester starts in February; the second trimester in May and the third trimester in August. There is a recess from December to January.
How many classes will I have to attend each week?
Part-time students attend two to three classes per week from 17:30 to 20:30.
Block Release students attend video conferencing classes on weekends, attend three study visits of five days each at the NMMU Business School in Port Elizabeth and three day visit per trimester in your study centre (as the lecturer sees fit).
What do I have to pay and when?
A South African student’s first payment will be towards a non-refundable fee for your SHL/GMAT test. An International Applicant’s first payment will include a non-refundable Application Fee (R500.00) as well.
Can I pay in instalments?
Yes, NMMU MBA fees can be paid in three instalments per year, which makes it a very affordable option for students who are not being sponsored.
Can I receive credits for modules completed in other qualifications on a Masters level?
The Higher Education Qualification Committee (HEQC) allows accredited MBA programmes to only afford credits for MBA modules completed on another accredited MBA Programme. As an institution, we can offer only up to 50% of credits for modules done elsewhere.
Main Campus & International Head Office
NMMU Business School
2nd Avenue Campus
Port Elizabeth, 6000
NMMU Business School advises all applicants to contact its Relationship and Marketing Office directly if you would like assistance with:
- An Application Package,
- More information regarding our PDBA and MBA programmes, or
- Booking a place at an Information Session.
For assistance with any of the above, please contact:
Ms Carlien Jooste Head: Relationship and Marketing Office
Ms Bronwyn Philander Marketing and Admissions Officer